Pick Your Language

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Canada

Canada (Past 5 Years)


London, Canada

Across the Boarder and Back Again!


Most Americans would say that Canada is just a Commonwealth version of the United States but I would argue otherwise. It is a lucky coincidence to live near a border because you have unlimited (in some cases) chances to go find a new adventure in a foreign land. In my case, Canada is no exception.  

Sarnia, Canada
In some ways Canada is a lot like the US but in many more ways it is very different. The culture, road signs, cars, brand names, shops, and even secondary language (French) all give off a very different aura than to that of the US. For instance, when I went to London back in 2015, it was interesting to see such a big yet quiet city. During my trip to London, we (my Mom, Papa, and I) went to a Canadian maritime museum that was dedicated to the Canadian war history, something that you wouldn't normally find in the US.

A few years later, I took a trip to Toronto with some work friends to check out one of the biggest cities in Canada. In my opinion, Toronto has a life of its own. We spent most of our visit on Yonge St. and that place especially had quite a unique vibe to it. Toronto had a lot to offer and we were lucky enough to roam the streets and see a bit of what it had on our day trip. We tried the Blonde espresso from Starbucks (before it hit the US), had wonderful vegetarian sushi, and tried boba tea for the first time. That trip really allowed us to experience the eccentric "personality" of the city.

Toronto, Canada
Between then and now, I have taken small day trips to Canada to visit their all-you-can-eat-sushi buffet in Sarnia. I have to say, one of my favorite things about Canada is their dedication to making fantastic-and affordable-sushi rolls. It is so good that every time I am home again for a visit, I make a special trip to my favorite sushi place just to eat at their buffet.

One last story, and one of my favorites, is the trip I took with my best friend, Jessica, just before I left to go back to Australia. She really enjoys traveling and wanted to go to Canada to add another country to her list of places she's been. We went for dinner and then a night drive around the town. We didn't exactly go to any places that were spectacular, but we had so much fun together just roaming the streets. Our adventure consisted of going to dinner (the sushi buffet of course), checking out the mall, driving around, and even stopping in at the Duty Free shop right before the boarder. Traveling is fun but traveling with good company makes it 100x better. The laughs we shared, pictures we took, and memories we made are things that I hold so dear to my heart. One of my favorite things about that trip is how excited she got when she bought a Canadian tourist t-shirt because, to her, it represented her "adventure" to a new foreign land.

Toronto, Canada
In all of my trips to Canada, I never went farther than Toronto. That being the case, I hope I have more opportunities to go further inland and see some of the remarkable places Canada holds. There is so much land and so many beautiful places just waiting to be explored!

~RMW




Blue Water Boarder between the US and Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment