Pick Your Language

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Townsville, Australia

Townsville 2018


A New Chapter in the Book of Life: Graduate School 


Deciding to go to graduate school was one of the biggest decisions of my life, yet at the same time it was my only option. In every way possible I think it was the right path for me to choose. Taking this big step was something I needed to do, not only for my career, but to grow as a person. After realizing that, I applied to James Cook University, got accepted, and then moved across the world with just two suitcases and myself. The initial journey to Australia was so long (about 30 hours nonstop), and honestly I thought I was going crazy from the lack of sleep, but when I finally arrived I knew it was going to be the start of something great.



When every American thinks of Australia, the first things that pop into our heads are beaches, sunshine, and absolute beauty (maybe even the Sydney opera house if your into architecture). However, what people don't tell you is that not every part of Australia is the spitting image of a good surf day. I was surprised when I got to Townsville and saw that it was a more rural-type location with very little to do. It's not an awful place to be (like, there could be worse), it's just not what I expected. There are definitely a few good things about T-ville including Magnetic Island, The Strand, Billabong Sanctuary, AIMS, and of course James Cook University. However, sometimes I can't understand why such fantastic academic universities place their campuses in 1) the ghetto/dangerous areas or 2) in the middle of nowhere. In my opinion, Townsville wouldn't be the first place I'd think to put a school.

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for Townsville, I will say that I have had so many great opportunities since coming to this school. I have been able to volunteer with The Global FinPrint Project, do an internship with TropEco, go to the Orpheus Island Research Station, and dive the Great Barrier Reef (including the S.S Yongala). Plus, I am being taught by some of the best, world renown, scientists in their field! JCU really does give an excellent education and I don't think I would have gotten a better teaching anywhere else in the world.


Last but not least, being on this side of the world has given me the chance to explore parts Asia and more of Australia. If you go down south you can find some amazing cities (like the Gold Coast) and typical places that you think of when you hear the word "Australia". Not to mention, I am thankful to have been able to see koalas, kangaroos, wallabies, cockatoos, kookaburras, and so many other exotic animals that you can't find anywhere else in the world. Overall, even though I am not too thrilled about Townsville itself, I am thrilled at all of the opportunities I have while being here. I have only just started my Masters degree but I am super excited to go out and learn more, see more, and meet more people on this crazy ride called "Graduate School".

~RMW

No comments:

Post a Comment